Thursday, May 23, 2013

Soooooo.....How did you make that siggie?

How did you make that siggie? That seems to be a question I get asked frequently, so I thought I'd share a bit of info here.

First, you need to know the requirements of the site where you plan to use the siggie. Different sites have different dimension and file size requirements. Since I want to use this at Gotta Pixel, I started by checking the requirements there. I learned my siggie needs to be no larger than 400 x 150 pixels.

Now I have two ways I can approach this. Some people would prefer to start with a canvas of these dimensions; 400 x 150 pixels. I actually prefer to work with a full size image, so I start with a canvas that is 3600 x 1350 pixels and 300 dpi. This way I don't have to constantly resize my elements as I drag them onto the canvas. Be sure your background is transparent!

Now is the easy part; just create your siggie the same way you create any layout! When you are through, merge your VISIBLE layers. Do NOT 'flatten' the image or merge ALL layers, or you will not have a transparent background. After you have merged your layers, resize the image to 400 x 150 pixels if you started with a full resolution image. If you are in photoshop elements, you can use 'save for web' to save your siggie as a PNG file. If you are in other software, just save as a PNG with a resolution of 72 dpi.

Now upload the PNG file to an image hosting site; maybe Photobucket? Grab the code and add the siggie to your forum signature. For most digiscrap sites, this can be done through the user settings. It's really pretty simple! Hope you found this info useful. If you create a new siggie, leave a comment and link it up!

siggie made is Silvia's Lovingly Yours page kit


You can pick up Lovingly Yours at any of Silvia's stores.

GOTTA PIXEL          SCRAPBOOK-BYTES          DIGITALS          A CHERRY ON TOP

No comments: